Wednesday, 3 April 2013

The 8th Day

It has been 8 days since I left Brisbane for Sydney. The transition was not easy- I've spent 4 years in Brisbane. Many friends were made during my stay in UQ, Adalong guest house, CSIRO Animal, Food and Health Sciences and the Queenslander at 145 and they are all dearly missed. Thank God for modern technology- everybody is only a 'button press' away despite the long distance.

These 8 days were primarily spent in securing an accommodation as well as getting to know the city. I'm glad that I was able to accomplish both aims in a span of a week; rooms here get snapped up pretty quick so it really is a case of "like it- grab it". Procrastination serves a 'homeless' sentence.

It's all about location, location, location. My new neighbourhood is an interesting one. For starters, it's near oxford street, the place to be for the Sydney Mardi Gras. The streets are also lined with sex shops, massage parlours, bars and eating places. The most important thing is that the University is a half hour walk away and it is looking to be a good way for a scientist-in-training to stay in shape. My new place is also walking distance from the Absinthesalon, the place I purchase my absinthe when I was living in Brisbane. I foresee that visits to the bar will be a monthly occurrence.

I guess every administrative thing is set for now- cannot wait to resume my PhD studies on the 8th of April.